Monday, February 25, 2008

Is The Word Conservative a Dirty Word to Black Americans?


I remember when I was a little girl and my mother would take me down to the voting booth at my school. Back then most of the voting booths were in the schools. I stared at her as she went behind the curtains and wondered what she was doing. It was the 1968 election. I had seen all the Hubert Humphrey signs in our home. It was strange to see this white man's picture all over the house.

I remember asking my Mom why she voted for him. She told me, "because he is a democratic." She was sad because she said she wanted to vote for "Bobby," but they killed him. Years later I realized she was talking about then Presidential Candidate, Robert Kennedy.

I was raised believing all blacks most vote for a "Democratic." That this was the way it was suppose to be. As I am older now and I watch Historical happenings in the Nation (woman and black candidate for Presidency), I think are many black feeling they "HAVE" to vote for
OBAMA?

Conservatives are said to believe in Morality and Responsibility are the key strong points in keeping America strong. So are we saying that Democrats don't give a rats ass about these issues? Liberals are said to be more open minded. Progressive was also a word bantered around in the 50's and 60's during the height of the civil rights movement.

If this is the case then why are we going through all these party switching games?

I want to believe that the majority of Americans hold the same values to be through, that is for the betterment of the country.

I suppose we do need opposition in thought, as this is not a totalitarian government.

I really don't consider myself Liberal or Conservative ( I think most people are truly a mixture of both). I consider myself a free thinker and listen to the facts clearly, so that my interest, and my children s interest are properly addressed.


So for many who think voting for anyone but
OBAMA is a cardinal sin, I have to protest. Recently Whoppi Goldberg changed her mind on her Presidential candidate (many blacks labeled her a traitor)...TRAITOR TO WHAT?

I for one is about change and Obama is my choice because I listened carefully to some key issues of his campaign (health care and education), I agree with his way of thinking. I feel the other candidates are too vague on those issues.

So if we are to keep this country with the "freedom" of choice then we should remove the "labels" that bind us. That is my opinon. As Digital Underground said, "Do Whatchalike."



WHOOPI DO WHAT YOU LIKE!!

No comments: