Saturday, March 15, 2008

Obama denounces Chicago minister’s sermons



Barack Obama was quick to denounce the words of his ex pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright. Wright who made inflammatory remarks against the United States and accused the country on bringing on the attacks of 9/11 by spreading terrorism could not be reached for comment.

I feel Reverend Wright has the right to his own opinion on certain things, the problem is when you speak as if you are speaking for others. Obama was not even in that church the day that sermon was preached. Preachers should leave politics out of their sermon. I want my Pastor to help with my salvation, not to give me their own political convictions.

The church has long been the focal point in the black community for many things. This was the forefront in the Civil Rights Movement. The church was where many people stood together to hear words of encouragement to enable them to battle the "Jim Crow Laws."

Obama was right to distance himself from this rhetoric. He was quoted as saying,

"I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies," Obama said in his blog posting. "I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Reverend Wright that are at issue.

Obama is not the black people's new Savior, he has come to unite rather then to be divisive.


No comments: