Friday, May 09, 2008

Old School Friday-Movie Songs

This weeks's Theme is Movie Songs. One of the movies in the 70's that set the theme in the 70's and placed Gordon Parks on the map was "Superfly.'

The movie is about, Super Fly who is a cocaine dealer who begins to realize that his life will soon end with either prison or his death. He decides to build an escape from the life by making his biggest deal yet, converting the coke to cash and running off to start a new life. The problem is that the Mob does not have a retirement plan and will give him a choice of staying and selling for them or dying if they find out his intentions

The fashion statements in this movie sets the template for many other movies in that follow in "blaxeplotation era."


Curtis Mayfield















And OF course one of the men who garnered much accolades for his soundtrack- PRINCE (PURPLE RAIN).





My Last selection (cause I love this theme I could go on and on) is Let's Do It Again By the Staple Singers. Written by Curtis Mayfield, it was part of the soundtrack for the Bill Cosby/Sidney Poitier movie, Let's Do It Again. The single reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in December 1975




5 comments:

Believer said...

"Let's Do It Again" I have heard before. Good beat! Thanks for taking us back.

Lenoxave said...

Hey - Thanks for commenting at my site. I love your picks for OSF. I was just watching Superfly about a week ago.

How can you ever go wrong with His Royal Badness and Curtis Mayfield.

Unknown said...

Nice picks! Curtis was certainly the man of the 70's movie soundtrack wasn't he?! But Let's Do It Again is hands down my favorite out of these picks!!
Great picks!
Happy OSF!

DP said...

Happy OSF - and really good choices in abundance. I'm actually shocked that I didn't think about Prince when this meme came up!

HeyShae! said...

I love OSF... where else can I get Curtis Mayfield and Prince all at once? :o)