Friday, May 23, 2008

Old School Friday-Best Guitar/Solos

This weeks Old School Friday For Grown Folks takes us to the Best Guitar and Solos. The very first person that popped in my mind was Sly Dunbar; and Robbie Shakespare. This was the sound, the beat behind many of Bob Marley and other Reggae Artist. They had this distinct sound. When Stevie Wonder visitied Jamaica in the 1980's he contracted Sly and Robbie to be featured on his then new single, Master Blaster. Well as you know Master Blaster became and instant succes..

Check out the sounds..




That is Robbie rocking the bass mon! and Sly is on the drums.


This group was one of my favorite growing up. ZZ top are killers on the guitar. This was the recent performance on American Idol, featuring this years winner David Cook




Another group I love din the 80's was Aerosmith (actually I still love Aerosmith, Steven Tyler is the bomb).

This collaboration in the 80's brought a serious change to rap music





Well it could not be a complete without Prince and as you and I know to find (anything) Prince on the internet is a challenge, So if you see this video disapper (lol!) you will know why. However, this man has taken the guitar to new heights. This is classic prince.

11 comments:

HeyShae! said...

I'm loving this week's theme. Sly & Robbie make me want to go to a jam session. :-)

Marvalus said...

Oh, the Sly and Robbie is awesome!

::singing::

"I was working part-time at the 5 and dime...my boss was Mr. McGee..."

I'm glad I got to see the Raspberry Beret before its disappearance...lol...

You did your thing this week!

Lenoxave said...

Great pics. All of them. I'm an absolute ZZ Top lover! Raspberry Beret was an obsession of mine when I was working a Summer job.

Danielle said...

You surely have provided a great collection this week.

I have been absent for the last few OSFs but played catch up today and went funky.

Have a great weekend.

Danielle

Anonymous said...

I with you all the way, you have covered every spectrum from funk to rock to prince then blues. I like all your choices, and I'm a fan of them all including Areosmith. I loved Aerosmith since Janie's Got A Gun.

Unknown said...

Happy OSF! My favorite was the classic Prince. I'm singing right along with Ms. Marvalus...

I'm not a major guitar fan, however, I went with the master -- Jimi Hendrix -- as my entry in this week's OSF meme.

peace, Villager

Anonymous said...

That was a nice little trip down memory lane. :-)

Hagar's Daughter said...

All great choices. I love me some Prince and Aerosmith is way cool! Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

great picks! I loved ZZ Top back in the 80's, I had actually forgotten about them. I am also a fan of Aerosmith/Stephen Tyler. That collaboration was hot and was a big crossover hit.
And you can never go wrong with PRINCE!! I am going to have to leave youtube alone and find my Prince fixes elsewhere!
Have a great weekend!

DP said...

Irie - You hit just about everything. Great choices all.

Sly and Robbie, they've got to be one of the top production teams ever. Reggae bass is always so complex but dang it sounds good.

And that Run DMC Aerosmith collaboration really set the stage for all the rap/rock music of today.

Love the ZZ Top and that's the first Prince video I've seen on the internet in a while. Hope it last.

Happy OSF!!

Believer said...

ZZ Top and David Cook were excellent last week on AI. Thanks for the replay! ;)

The video "Walk This Way" was awesome.