Saturday, November 29, 2008

Too Much Gaming

video game Pictures, Images and Photos



I can't believe a parent was not there to supervise this young boy's video playing? I know many parents would say, "iriegal, but he was 15 years old" and that is what boys do, they play video games. That may be true but until my kids left the house I "STILL" supervised (as best as I could) what went on in my home. My son could not be sitting in front of a screen for 15 hours straight. That is just not healthy.

The boy was with 7 friends, who had gathered on Saturday at the 15-year-old’s home in Laholm Swedon to play the video game, a new version of which was released last week in Sweden. The father stated “They played all day and all night. Maybe they got a few hours of sleep. They ate a little food and breakfast at their computers,”

At around 2:00pm on Sunday, the boy had what appeared to be an epileptic seizure. He was rushed to the hospital where the doctors stated, the boy’s bodily systems had been thrown off by a combination of sleep deprivation, lack of food, and too long a stretch of concentrated game playing.

I think sometimes we as parents use video games, televison and even computers as the "ultimate babysitter." Although this boy was 15 and of course teens do have friends come over. I still feel that their game playing should of been moderated.

The game in question was World of Warcraft installment, Wrath of the Lich King.

Source:
http://www.thelocal.se/15742.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's kind of sad that at that age kids don't have anything outside of gaming that gets them out of the house. At 15 I was NEVER in the house that long.

iriegal said...

I think it has to do with the new technology that surrounds our young people.

What happened to board games? We use to play for hours as well, however there were no "flashing" lights or noise stimulus (aside from folks screaming)

Yes 2Sweet, we went outside.