Friday, February 27, 2009

Old School Friday- Sophomore Year

Well it is that magical time again. Wow, where does the week go? I had this crazy exam yesterday, so really ready to unwind. Ms Grapevine and MarvalusOne have teamed up to create a meme titled Old School Friday. To join in the Old School Friday Fun go Here for guidelines.

I didn't go to High School in this country so the closest I can get to Sophomore year in this country is what we call 4th Form (Jamaica follows the English tradition).This is interesting because in Jamaica most of the students graduate when they are 13- 14 years old. So many of my classmates were about that age. I wasn't, I was older because originally I transplanted from New York, back to Jamaica. Long story for one o those other days.

Anyhow,this was around 1976, now in Jamaica Reggae was just getting into full swing, but so was rap music. For some reason Jamaicans loved rap music. I think it reminded them of the music we called, "ROCKERS."

Speaking of ROCKERS one of the hottest artist out Jamaica then was "KILLER MILLER." The one and only JACOB MILLER. Take a listen mon.



One song though that sure nuff got you grooving was "CAR WASH" by ROSE ROYCE...It didn't matter how tired I was when that song came on I was bumping and jumping.



and last but not least the "BOOGIE FEVER" was coming of age..DISCO was on! You had to put on your bell foot pants and your platforms and get on that dance floor.

This is a song I remember getting down to





Please check out the other participants.

Electronic Village
- Fresh And Fab - Danielle - Kim

- Ms Grapevine -Quick -Marcus LANGFORD

- Cassandra - Kevin -Mahogany -Hagar's Daughter - Lisa C

-Chocl8t - DP - Dallassouth - John - CC Groovy - Kreative Talk

-Marvalus One - Regina - Clnmike - Vivrant Thing

-AJ - Sharon - - Invisible Woman

- Cooper - SJP -Bria - BklynQueen 86 - Hey Shae -

- From the Battlefield
- Thembi - D Spot - Malcolm -




2 comments:

Revvy Rev said...

I've always loved the reggae rhythm and beat whomever might be performing. But Car Wash and Rose Royce was a special song and I loved the movie as well. They bring back so many youthful memories. Happy OSF!

iriegal said...

Yes Reggae can actually go with anything. It is the drum and the bass combination that gives it that flavor