Saturday, January 17, 2009

8year old marries 47 year old Man


This looks like something that would be in Weird News or something, however it is true. A man in Saudi Arabia has caused a controversy with some of its top clerics. The practice of men marrying children in Saudi Arabia dates back to centuries ago. However, this newest marriage has put this practice back in the spotlight. The top cleric's have refused to annul this marriage.

The mother of the child signed a petition to have the marriage annulled. The judge rejected a petition from the girl's mother, whose lawyer said the marriage was arranged by her father to settle a debt with "a close friend." The judge required the girl's husband to sign a pledge that he would not have sex with her until she reaches puberty. Yeah right, he is gonna honor that.

I worry sometimes that my daughter might fall in love with someone who's cultural practices I disagree with. I know I don't have any control who my children fall in love with, but because I myself am from another culture, I often tell them to find out the practices of that culture if they find they are getting really deep in that relationship.

I am sorry, I would have to leave that country (and claim political asylum) before I commit to having my "baby" (because that is what an 8 year old is) marrying a grown man. I notice in the mid eastern countries that you don't have the young boys marrying older women....hmmm..


Source: CNN

1 comment:

Believer said...

This stuff is scary. Young women had better get it straight; other cultures are more than a different food or clothing. When you marry and have children all the rules change!

Remember that movie with Sally Field, "Not Without My Daughter." I will never forget that woman's escape from Iran with her daughter, and the countless other real life stories about the same.