Friday, July 18, 2008

Old School Friday-Breakup Songs

Ms Grapevine and MarvalusOne have teamed up to create a meme titled Old School Friday and since I love my music I had to sign up to join! To join in the Old School Friday Fun go Here for guidelines.

I tell you if I had money on every song I had for my breakups, I know that I would own that mansion on the hill by now.

I remember this song as my "very" first break up song....dang...I wonder where that dude is now. However Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway broke the pain down for me.



....and the Manhattans amplified it. When they sang this song in the 70's (I was an expert at breakups by then)...wow, I sure did have a lot of boyfriends..(irie shakes her head at the memories)..




....but Angie Stone eased all my pain when she did this classic





All in all I can post a lot of break up songs....but this is topic I rather not have a lot of "reminder videos."...


Please check out some of the following participants of Old School Friday...onelove


- Electronic Village - Fresh And Fab - Kim

- Ms Grapevine -Quick -Marcus LANGFORD

- Cassandra - Danielle - iriegal -Hagar's Daughter - Lisa C

-Chocl8t - DP - Dallassouth - Kreative Talk

-Marvalus One - Regina - Clnmike - Vivrant Thing

-AJ - Sharon - The Creole Pimp - Invisible Woman

-Beleiver 1964 - Cooper - SJP - sHaE-sHaE

7 comments:

SjP said...

I thought about Roberta - cause Lord knows she got a couple of really good and really sad break up songs. These are all really good choices! I did one with a whole lot of funk. Hope you get a chance to check it out.

Anonymous said...

wow...you went waaaay back with roberta and donnie [that song truly is sad when you listen to it] and the 'manhattan'-an incredible tune and i love the angie stone track too.

you really have some great picks!

:::Marcus LANGFORD:::

Anonymous said...

Anything with Roberta and Donny is a classic and a hit...

I just discovered that the Manhattans have the best break-up songs...

After seeing Gladys Knight on OSF, the first song that came to mind was No More Rain by Angie Stone, I love the way she sampled and used Gladys beat...

Great choices, and don't forget to leave comments so the other participants know you're out here.

Happy OSF!

Marvalus said...

Excellent choices! Donny and Roberta are just classic, and the Angie Stone seals it...

And there are no words for the Manhattans cut...too close to home...

Happy OSF!

Unknown said...

I love Donny and Roberta together! That is a classic couple. The video is no longer available but I know (and have!) the song! It is one of my favorites!
And I love "No More Rain!
Greta picks!

HeyShae! said...

Roberta has mastered the breakup song. LOL I'm feeling you with the Angie Stone.

Unknown said...

Man, oh man! Roberta and Donnie to me were the ultimate combination! And the Manhattans are always classic. When you here No More Rain you can feel it in your bones!
All great picks (but I'm partial to Donny Hathaway!)
Have a great weekend!